Although it’s hard to believe today with a student body approaching 29,000, UNC Charlotte actually began quite humbly. On Sept. 23, 1946, Charlotte Center opened its doors to accommodate World War II veterans using the GI Bill.
Beginning with just 278 students, Charlotte Center was located in what was then Central High School and is now part of Central Piedmont Community College’s main campus. Charlotte Center would later morph into Charlotte College and ultimately, in 1965, become UNC Charlotte, the fourth campus of the consolidated UNC system. And the rest, is our history.
It has been 70 years since the first days of Charlotte Center and UNC Charlotte is celebrating with an action-packed week of events. Stay tuned for some very special announcements, especially during “The Exponential Celebration” on Sept 22. More to come…
Time Capsule Dedication
Sept. 20, 2016 | Noon | Belk Plaza
Celebrate with Chancellor Dubois and Student Body President Fahn Darkor as we preserve Niner Nation history with a commemorative time capsule that will be buried in Belk Plaza and opened in 2046 on the University's 100th anniversary.